Yes, tourists can buy alcohol in Dubai. They can purchase alcohol without a license by presenting their passport at one of the stores. Tourists can also apply for a free 30-day license to purchase alcohol, which is a simplified process that can be done at two of the main purveyors of alcohol in Dubai – MMI and African + Eastern. They just need to be at least 21 years of age and will need to bring their passport and a valid visitor visa to the store to obtain the license.
However, alcohol is not widely served in Dubai and is only sold in special liquor stores licensed and controlled by the government.
what are the restrictions on alcohol consumption in Dubai
Here are the restrictions on alcohol consumption in Dubai:
- Non-Muslims must be 21 years of age or older to consume alcohol in Dubai.
- Drinking and driving is strictly prohibited in Dubai, and the authorities have a zero-tolerance policy towards public drunkenness.
- It is illegal to drink or be under the influence of alcohol in public places.
- Liquor licenses are required for residents of Dubai to purchase alcohol for personal consumption. However, liquor licenses are no longer required for residents in Abu Dhabi and other emirates (save for Emirate of Sharjah) to purchase alcohol for personal consumption.
- Liquor licenses are not available to non-residents in the other emirates. Tourists and visitors can buy and drink alcohol in licensed venues such as hotels, restaurants, and clubs.
- Alcohol is not widely served in Dubai and is only sold in special liquor stores licensed and controlled by the government.
It is important to note that the possession of alcohol is prohibited in Sharjah, and drinking alcohol in Sharjah is strictly prohibited, which applies to everyone, including tourists and foreigners.
where can tourists buy alcohol in Dubai
Tourists can buy alcohol in Dubai from two main purveyors of alcohol, MMI and African + Eastern. Tourists can apply for a free 30-day license to purchase alcohol, which is a simplified process that can be done at these stores. To obtain the license, tourists need to be at least 21 years of age and will need to bring their passport and a valid visitor visa to the store.
Duty-free shops are also available at Dubai International Airport, and tourists can purchase alcohol there. Since December 2020, Dubai has introduced new measures making it possible for tourists to buy alcohol in shops. Previously, only residents of Dubai with a special red pass could purchase alcohol in Dubai. It is important to note that alcohol is not widely served in Dubai, and Sharjah prohibits the sale and drinking of alcohol.
what is the legal drinking age in Dubai
The legal drinking age in Dubai is 21 years old. This is strictly enforced and anyone caught selling alcohol to a person under the legal drinking age of 21 will be punished. It is important to carry a valid age-proof document when going for a drink as staff members or bouncers are well within their rights to ask for it.